Mark Gilchrist Gregson

Mark Gilchrist Gregson

Regiment:Royal Artillery, Field Regiment
Service Number:40383
Cemetary/Memorial: El Alamein War Cemetary, Matruh, Egypt (XXI.D.19.)
Awards:1939-1945 Star
1939-1945 War Medal

Born 5th August 1908 in Devenport, Cornwall, Major Gregson died 15th July 1942, aged 33, in the Middle East.

Born into a military family, Mark was the son of Colonel Henry Guy (Army Ordnance, CMG, Mentioned in Despatches) and Inez Mary Mowat Gregson and Grandson of Matthew Henry Gregson, Major in the Royal Engineers. He was brother to John Henry (b. 1904), Guy Patrick (1907-1988) and Martin James (b.1910).

Like their father, all of the boys were educated at Saint Ronan’s before going their separate ways. Mark was at the school from 1918 to 1922, where he won prizes for Maths and Latin. He and Guy then went on to Greshams, John to Rugby and then the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, and Martin to Rugby.

Mark was a Prefect in 1922, and was confirmed in the school chapel by the Bishop of Lewes the same year.

He played in the cricket team, where it was said: “Came on rapidly at the end of the season, as he improved his defence; has a very good cut and sound shots on the leg.” He also gained his Colours.

He returned to visit the school in 1927 and 1928

Colonel and Mrs Gregson presented the school with a fald stool, a small desk for the chapel from which the Litany is sung in recognition of the time their sons had spent at Saint Ronan’s.

Whilst at Greshams, Mark was in Howson house, from Michaelmas 1922 to 1926:

1924 – played cricket for the school’s first team; promoted to acting Lance-Corporal in the Officers Training Corps; played football for his house

1925 – promoted to Lance-Corporal in the OTC; played football and hockey for his house; played cricket for the School; promoted to Sergeant and Corporal in the OTC.

1926 – Made a House and School Prefect; played cricket for the School; played hockey for his house; awarded Colours for cricket and PT.

He then went on to the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich where he was named in the Honours List in 1927.

In 1936, he married Christine Rozel Pigot Gregson (nee Williams) of Chard, Somerset.

His brothers also served but survived the War:

• John (b. 1904) was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Royal Artillery. He was awarded the Order of Orange Nassau-Commander with Swords from the Netherlands.

• Guy (b. 1906-1988) was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Royal Horse Artillery, awarded the DSO and Bar as well as the Military Cross for his actions in France. He was later awarded a CBE.

• Martin (b. 1910) was a Major in the Royal Regiment of Artillery and was mentioned in dispatches for his actions in the Middle East and awarded an MBE.

John married Betty Farran in 1936, and their son, Michael also went on to attend Saint Ronan’s in 1947.

Contact Us

If you have any further information about the history of Saint Ronan's, the buildings or people, or wish to contact us for any other matter, please do let us know.